Monday, November 19, 2007

oh, the drama


Maegan is 4. But, man, sometimes she sounds just like a teenager.
In this picture Maegan is very mad because of how I dressed her. Particularly that this "dress" is too small and shouldn't have pants under it. For 30 minutes, before leaving for church, I tried to convince her that she looked darling. (That was when I was being patient about her protest.) She continued to stomp around the house saying "I will not wear this, I will not. It is embarrassing! It's not my choice, I don't choose to wear it!) Then I began my ineffective speech about how I spent good money ($5) on this "dress" and I refuse to waste good money. I went on to explain that she was being ungrateful and her behavior was an affront to the many children who would love to wear this ensemble. Can you believe this message didn't change her mind? She returned with "I just can't do it, I can't wear this...it's stupid! I want a different mommy and daddy who will let me wear my choice." Now, the compromise. You can have your choice...but after church. This isn't because I wanted her to look a certain way at church, but because I didn't want to give in.
Well, in the end I let her take off the embarassing, stupid dress shirt. But she still had to keep the clothes on underneath, which was it's own sort of punishment. Pants are like punishment to Maegan because that is what boys wear.
I've got to stop fighting the stupid fights. Perhaps it was my behavior (the angry, impatient part) that was an affront to God, not hers.

4 comments:

SPRINK said...

Maegan is great. I love talking to her. If I ever see her in that outfit I will tell her I can not believe your mother made you wear that.

It has been great working with Doug the past few weeks. Nice to get to know him better. You guys have a great Thanksgiving. Have fun with everyone at your house.

Unknown said...

I like how you took the time to take her picture in the midst of everything...sometimes I do that to students/kids I am babysitting for when they are throwing tantrums. I like having a way to show them how ridiculous they are truly being...

See you Tuesday!

peace.

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

i wish they embarrassing dress was in my size, i like it! oh, what i look forward to...kids who talk back:)

Nikki Keever said...

At any moment did you hear the words she said in your mental rolodex of something you once said to her? hee, er oops. She looks beautiful no matter what she wears...even that smug face xoxo