Thursday, March 19, 2009

Commercial Mom


I remember before I had kids I would see commercials of kids spilling grape juice on the floor and the mom would just smile, shake her head, and clean it up joyfully. I thought, I can't be that mom. Two kids later, and one on the way, and I'm still not that mom. Though, I do wish I could be. I want to be the mom who can laugh in the face of a spill and look at the spill causer with an understanding, gentle smile.
There is a commercial out now of a mom and her son using the beaters. The beaters make a mess and they realish the moment. I need more of that. Why do I get so uptight about little things. If I were in the commerical the dialogue would be: "See, I told you to be careful! Now look at this mess! I would rather do this by myself." That's ugly. That commercial would probably be for Zoloft.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to close the story :). I was feeling the emotion and nodding in agreement... and then laughed out loud.

carol said...

Ah, so you relate :)

Alison said...

Like yesterday when Barrett was "helping" me unload the dishwasher and threw a glass plate on the floor! It would definitely be easier to do most things by ourselves, but then how would they learn and how would we have opportunities to learn how to respond rather than react? :-) What a boring day it would be, too, right? What would we do without all the messes to clean up? Ah, I know, have a clean house, read a good book, sit down, relax...Oh, wait, let me wake up and come back to reality!

Amy said...

Ha ha...or maybe it is just because you don't have the products being advertised. If you had BOUNTY paper towels instead of the generic, clean up would be such a breeze that you WOULDN'T mind. :)

I always hear people talking about all the things that you have to "let go" when you are a mom, but I can definitely see myself struggling to hold onto some semblance of cleanliness and control when this little one is old enough to make messes!

Amy said...

Ha! Reminds me of the day I tried to make pizza dough with the kids and 4 cups of flour ended up in the air, on the floor, in hair and on the faces of all of us...and thankfully I had taken my Zoloft that morning :)

Kute by Kari said...

My little mirror (also known as Eli) started freaking out and almost having toddler versions of panic attacks when he spills milk in the living room... she must have learned it from some mom on a Zoloft commercial not me :)

Loree Alayne Photography said...

Thanks for a good laugh!! I am sure we all feel that way. I always think "Oh it would be so much fun to make cookies together or let them help me make pancakes etc.." I imagine us all stiring, smiling, laughing, and creating something wonderful. It usually ends up with them fighting over who is stirring, who is pouring, and who is cracking the eggs. This usually ends with me banishing them to their rooms until the project is done (done meaning burnt food with a messy kithchen =) God's mercies are new every day. Just keep trying. One day we will be able to laugh at the mess and even miss it as they get older.