Tuesday, August 7, 2007

confession of a mindless driver


THURSDAY, June 29 (HealthDay News) -- Maneuvering through traffic while talking on the phone increases the likelihood of an accident five-fold and is actually more dangerous than driving drunk, U.S. researchers report.
That finding held true whether the driver was holding a cell phone or using a hands-free device, the researchers noted


Dear Friends, I am going to try my hardest not to talk on my cell phone while driving from this point on. The car was my best place to return and make calls. The kids are quiet and restrained. However I've had a few close calls while driving and talking...hence the confession. (Parents, perhaps you should stop reading now.)
Last week I was talking to my friend Milissa about Maegan's recent medical tests. Due to the topic my mind was a little absorbed. So, at 56th and Georgetown I stopped at the red light and then proceeded to run the red light. Obviously, we made it through that mistake all right.
Saturday evening I was talking to my friend Alison about Maegan's recent medical tests. Once again, I was a little distracted. First evidence, I went way out of my way to get to Christina's house. Then at 86th street I started to run a red light, stopped, backed up, moved forward and almost hit a pedestrian who stood in amazement at my lack of attention. So, I can't do it. You all may be wonderful at multi-tasking....but that's what I thought.
So, I'm going to try driving while drinking Fat Tire instead of making phone calls from now on :)

No comments: