Saturday, December 22, 2007

Remembering Abraham's Faith




I first experienced the religious festival, Eid al-Adha, when I lived in Bosnia.
I was "warned" a few days before this holiday to prepare myself for the sight of animals being sacrificed in the streets. I lived in Sarajevo, which is a city, not a village. However, I was still a little taken aback when I passed several hanging, bleeding, animals on my way to the bakery.
Eid al-Adha is the Muslim holiday when they remember Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son in obedience to God. For those of you who don't know this event in history, God provided a ram for Abraham to sacrifice. This is forshadowing of God providing Jesus as a sacrifice for our sins. God provided the sacrifice (like the ram in Abraham's case), so that we wouldn't have to pay.
So, I'm posting a few pictures of this event for you (compliments of the BBC). The first one is men praying in New Delhi, the second is a camel being sacrificed with many on lookers, and the third is a boy in Senegal washing the goat sacrifice before the slaughter.

No comments: