Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Trying to Pray


I don't know if you can identify with this scenerio. We are getting ready for church on Sunday morning and I'm shouting out orders and getting very frustrated with that lack of adherence. We are 5 minutes past the time we should be out of the house and now we are very stressed. The kids are whining in the back seat all the way to church..."put on music!" they demand..."why don't we have cable?" they inquire..."you are mean parents!" they surmise. We hurry to check them into their childcare rooms, rush to find a seat, then throw up our hands to join in the worship.
I find it hard to pray on days like today. I'm tired and mad from having my kids talk to me rudely and totally refuse to obey. I'm embarassed from having Maegan sass me in front of everyone at school and hit me. So, I'm throwing up my hands...but not to worship. Right now is my time to read and spend some time with God, but I'm so frustrated with my attitude that I'm having a hard time doing it. I know it's when I need to pray the most but it seems like all I can say is, "I'm sorry. God, please help me do better!" It's hard to approach God when I feel like filthy rags, but thankfully He already knows this and loves me anyhow.
I better start praying in the morning before I've had a chance to open my mouth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my heart reaches out to you. i wish i had a remedy for sass and disobedience. like so many times you've done it for me I will pray for you when you cannot. :) loves!

Alison said...

I can think of many a time I've felt the same way. Doesn't He love it, though, when we do say, "I'm sorry! Help me do better!"? It's a tough journey, this parenting thing, huh? I'm glad we can be honest about those days when everything isn't just rosey and perfect, right? (Do those ever happen??) I'm sure I've called you in the past and said, "Please pray for me b/c I don't want to do something I'll regret!" I love to look at them sleeping. It sometimes makes all the daytime drama just disappear as I look at them in such a peaceful state. Love you, Dear Friend!