Thursday, June 21, 2007

all right, already!

Man, you all are persistant! I keep getting calls about my "big announcement", most of you thinking that I'm pregnant. Even though, I did post that I'm not pregnant and I never said I had some big announcement. ;)
So, my slight reference to going through change (not "the change" either), was not meant to keep you in suspense. Now, I feel like I've got you all charged up and anxious.
Doug decided to take a break from being an elder. He is calling it a sabbatical. (you are saying....that's it?!) Yes, that is it. For us, though, it was a big decision. Doug has been saying for some time now that he feels like he is "winging it" spiritually. He has been running in so many leadership directions (pastor, elder, house church leader), that he feels he has been doing it out of his own strength. I kept dismissing his feelings, because I see all the good he does and the wise counsel he has to give. So, I know God is still using him. But, I now see how it is good for Doug to take a break. He is very excited about getting refreshed by God and focusing on leading our family.
I also saw that for me I started to worry about what people would think. Would people think we aren't trusting God enough to keep on leading and get refreshed at the same time? Would people think Doug is stepping down from being an elder because he has done something not elder worthy? Would people think we want to become self absorbed and not serve others? Doug's answer was, "I don't care what people think." It is worth risking what people think in order to seek God and what He wants.
Who knows....maybe we'll end up going across the world to start an orphanage after all....;) ah the parents will love that comment!

2 comments:

Kibs said...

As long as Kari and I don't walk by and see Doug digging a 10 foot hole in his yard, I think this sounds like a good way for Doug to re-charge his batteries.

carol said...

Well then, how do you feel about him starting a hobby that involves stuffing dead animals and selling them on ebay?