Monday, July 2, 2007

i crazy


This past Friday Doug and I rolled into Chi-Town on the Mega-Bus. All the passengers had their faces plastered against the windows to get a glimpse of the Chicago people. So, as Doug and I observed the spectacles we both took notice of a line of men sitting along the wall of a building. In my mind I mused, this must be the likes of a Wheeler Mission. Then Doug said casually, "that must be the line for the iPhone." I stared at him for a moment waiting for enlightenment.......then I chuckled and said "this I must blog!"

Just in case you aren't aware, the iPhone price starts at $499.

Ironically, as we approached our hotel we had to make our way through a line of people who looked like they'd been camping out for awhile. We peered at these people from the 37th floor wondering if they were waiting for concert tickets, or waiting to get the autograph of someone famous. As we made our way out to get some Gino's Pizza (not worth the hour wait), passing by about 5 media trucks, we saw it.....the blackened windows of the Apple store. People were gathering to take pictures of their new line friends, random people stopped to take the picture of the first guy in line, Starbucks set up shop to pass out free coffee.

Well, I got caught up in the action and had to be there when Apple opened their doors to the fanatical techies. It was great! I wanted to want an iPhone. I would have loved to camp out all day, make new friends, get interviewed on TV, and drink free Starbucks. Doug and I stood amazed as people clapped for the consumers walking out with their little black bags. Other people took pictures of the people taking pictures of the people buying their iPhones.


All in all, we had a great weekend in Chicago. The only thing we didn't accomplish was eating at Fogo de Chao. It came down to fear for me. I was afraid of what I might do at a place where they brought me non-stop meat.

Seriously, this is why I avoided going. We cancelled our reservation Friday night, then we planned to go Saturday...but somehow I avoided it. I'm afraid of something that delicious.

No comments: