Tuesday, July 15, 2008

jacked up theology


Maegan is quite the artist and has quite the imagination. Yesterday I asked her to produce a birthday card for Henry, who had what Maegan called "the best time of her life" party at a playland in Avon.
This is the card. I had to ask the meaning, and why there are sad people on the card. Here goes....the small figure hanging from the top is Jesus. Jesus is killing the girl, who is smiling, with what I guess is a lighting bolt. The wickedly happy girl is making a birthday present disappear with her magic wand. Therefore the birthday girl is sad because her present has vanished.
Wow. So, this gave me the opportunity to explain that Jesus actually loves bad people and doesn't kill them. That Jesus allowed Himself to be killed to take the punishment for all the bad things we do....like making gifts disappear. I think she got it! When Doug came home I asked her to tell him about the card and she said, "oh, it doesn't mean anything....it's just some people I drew."

2 comments:

Giddy said...

This morning the first thing Lydia said to me was, "Mom, I had a dream. It was about love. Yeah, it was about Jesus and love." I tried to get her to tell me more--was Jesus IN her dream, did she get a hug from Jesus, what did he look like, etc. But she said "Mom, Jesus isn't real! it was a dream!" Ah the mind of a 3-year-old....who knows WHAT she was dreaming.....

Loree Alayne Photography said...

Carol, Maegan really has a gift. An artistic gift. She is a story teller and has deep feelings and thoughts on life. I think she is really smart. I seriously think her drawings and stories are amazing. It has also given you the opportunity to share Jesus with her. All kids probably have some distorted ideas of who Jesus is. We just don't hear about it. Thanks for sharing - Loree