Sunday, April 19, 2009

This is an unauthorized post

DC here...yeah, I know i'm probably committing some sort of "blog foul" by posting to Carol's blog, especially since she doesn't know i'm doing it. it’s risky on a couple levels – first, it may be my only post here as she’s likely to change her password. Secondly, I’m going out on a limb with you because this is one of those stories where you sort of had to be there. I hope you can engage your imagination and relive the experience with the laughter we did yesterday.

We were on our way to the Race for the Cure. Given the fact that 45,000 people are signed up, i'm guessing it's going to be a 2 mile walk just to get to the start line for our 1 mile "family walk". Factoring in the heat, the likelihood of fits & breakdowns from the kids, and carol’s general state of fatigue, i envisioned her sitting down at approximately the .5 mile mark and demanding that I find a way to get her home without anymore walking. With this vision in mind all morning I determined to practice expert husbandry to avoid the inevitable situation. The plan was for us to both take our cell phones. I would drop her & the kids off close to the start line, then find a place to park – likely more than a mile or more away. after parking i would call her to determine her location and we would meet up to start the walk. you with me?

so here's where things get sideways...we're running late. we need to meet our friends (near a particular landmark) in less than 45 minutes and we just left the house. I realize half way there that we both forgot our cell phones. "Shoot...we won't be able to call each other" i say. "that means we'll have to park and walk together" i added. Fears of the scenario I described start setting in.

clearly without any processing of the situation carol responds "well, I could just ask someone to borrow their phone so i could call you". (do you remember that neither of us have a cell phone?). I sit in silence for a moment then look at carol with a confused/disturbed look. She realizes she’s said something silly but hasn’t figured it out what. She says “what?!”. So I reply with a simple question….”you’re going to borrow someone’s phone?” to which she responds “yes”. Then I say, “who are you going to call? Do you want me to also borrow someone’s phone so you can call me on their phone? But wait, how would you have their number?

If imagination doesn’t let you experience the laughter of the moment I’m sorry. It was classic. Sort of reminded me of telling someone “ask me knock-knock”…think about it and try it this week - leads to some interesting looks of confusion!

4 comments:

Kibs said...

That is a classic. And now immortalized on a blog site. See, Doug, aren't blogs great?

Alison said...

I'm laughing with you and can totally see Carol's face during that entire exchange! Hilarious!

Kute by Kari said...

I feel like you might have left out some of the best parts... like how the walk went. If it went well I will assume Megan has been praying for you all :)

Loree Alayne Photography said...

Very funny and I can totally see Carol saying that and thinking it was a great (simple solution) ha ha!!