Monday, March 1, 2010

Jesus, Surfing, and Chuck E Cheese


For Lent our family is unplugging on Sundays, and on those nights we do a family devotional time. I love these devotions (that I found online) because they make us use our imaginations.
We read a passage from the Bible that is from Jesus' life. Then there are some questions that involve us closing our eyes and picturing Jesus being with us. What would we say to Him, what would he say to us?
It has been neat to hear what the kids have to say, and even for Doug and I to sense relief just being with Jesus.
The first night I asked Spencer what He pictured Jesus doing during a difficult time. Spencer said, "I see Jesus and His angels by my bed. I see a shadow...but it's Jesus'."
Last night we talked about Jesus amazing us. I had the kids close their eyes and I told them to imagine themselves at the beach. There is a man coming down the beach in a bright white robe and His face is shining like the sun (we had read about the transfiguration for our passage). It's Jesus! He says, "Maegan, Spencer, you are chosen to be in my family and you are loved." Then He walks with them down the beach. When we all shared how we felt walking with Jesus Maegan was most struck by Jesus saying she was chosen to be in His family and she thanked Him. Spencer's imagined that he and Jesus decided to go surfing and then later went to Chuck E Cheese.
When I imagined walking with Jesus I immediately felt my shoulders relax and stopped worry about all my shortcomings.

1 comment:

Alison said...

What a beautiful example of Jesus being able to know exactly what each of us needs at any given time when we are being intentional about resting in Him! I love how you guys are doing this. What a wonderful tradition you are starting!