Wednesday, April 18, 2007

just say no to drugs

When is the last time you went to the doctor or local ER and left without drugs? I went to the ER yesterday (second time this year) because my back gave out. I don't know how else to describe it. I laid on the kitchen floor waiting for Doug to arrive so he could save the crying baby from his crib. A total of an hour on the dirty, tile, kitchen floor. So, off to the ER. I've learned ER doctor's don't like to answer questions directly, spend more than 5 minutes with you, or ultimately say anything that could implicate them in a lawsuit at a later date. So, the prognosis..."your back is injured, I treat all back injuries the same, I don't know...another doctor might have other advice, but I say take these pills and don't call me in the morning." So when the nurse brought in my narcotic, I said "I don't have pain when I'm lying down, so maybe I should just not move and then not have pain. Or, can I just try some Tylenol? "Well, sure", she said, "but I think these will make you feel better and help you sleep." So, because my husband loves pills (I love you honey) I took the pill and got the prescription filled. I mean, who doesn't want to have Oxycodone on hand for kicks or for street resale (which the ER doctor jokingly suggested we do with the pills that I'm not going to take).
So, I took the pill and 4 hours later had a freak out session. I hadn't been able to sleep yet and it was 11:30pm. I couldn't feel my fingers, my lips were tingly, I was itching all over, and I was in a state of panic. I was saying things that weren't reasonable like "I've got to get out of here, I think I'm going to stop breathing (even though I could breathe fine), I think I'm about to freak out." So I made Doug call Brad, our pharmaceutical hook up, to make sure I was going to make it. We decided to watch TV until I "came down" from the sky. I was craving Outback cheesy fries, but settled for potato chips. I had to watch something funny and really wished "Thank God You're Here" was on. I spent a few minutes in hysterical laughter as I said "Thank God You're Here" in different accents. Doug got out the camcorder to film, because he thought it was funny. I didn't. I don't know why anyone would want to feel that way. Drugs are awful, don't try them.

4 comments:

side of fries said...

Let me know if you need ANYTHING!! I'll be more than happy to help. Stay sane.

Unknown said...

I just read this to Mike who is thrilled to know there is a chance Doug takes your narcotics...seeing as I have to hid mine from my husband at times... I think he wishes I had more wisdom teeth that needed pulled.

Kute by Kari said...

I have no idea why that published me as "a" and not Kari Kuebler

Carrie Neal said...

I expect to hear "thank God you're here" in at least four different accents the next time I see you! I talked to Doug this morning at church...I was serious about wanting to help out, even though we aren't the closest geographically. Let me know.