Friday, February 15, 2008

Leader of the Pack


My parents don't have pets, but they love the show "The Dog Whisperer." So, I was visiting on Monday and we sat down to watch Cesar work his magic on some pretty wild dogs. This magical whisperer taught pet owners that they had to indeed act like owners or the dog would think he is in charge of the household. The owners had to show dominance, as if they were a much larger dog. Just after a few tricks (of showing domination) the owners were back in charge and the dogs knew their place. The dogs just wanted to know that someone was in charge and to know the rules. Hmmm, this was sounding a lot like stuff I read in Parenting Magazine. My dear magazines that give me all sorts of great advice on handling my own wild dogs.
So, I've been repeating to myself..."I'm leader of the pack....I'm leader of the pack." I need to show these critters of mine just exactly who is in charge. Well, some of Cesar's rules kind of relate to kids, but my tightening the leash and standing over their food bowls just isn't doing the trick. It was worth a shot....and I'm still calling myself leader of the pack!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perhaps if we tell ourselves this truth enough times, we'll actually start to believe it!! -Al