Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Powerful Sermon


About 5 years ago I was sitting in a church during a wedding rehearsal. I needed something to read, so I picked up the church literagy book from the pew. I came across something that described where Jesus went for those 3 days before He was resurrected from the dead. I had never thought about those 3 days for some reason. I had to hold back the tears that sprung to my eyes. This text describe Jesus going to the depths of hell and his aweful separation from God. When Doug was done practicing his standing, I pulled him aside and said "did you know what happened to Jesus those 3 days in the grave!?" He was a little surprised at my new revelation. He said that Jesus was separated from God's presence (which is what Hell is) in order to really experience the penalty of our sins. This was a lot for me to take. I was grief striken in a whole new way.
In Sunday's sermon I had another new realization. Jeff described the way Jesus disarmed the power of sin. He took away the power of sin in our lives. But I've sort of always wondered why that sin still has such a hold on us. Jeff suggested that we give the sin back it's power by turning to it as our god. The Spirit of God that lives in us gives us power to overcome that sin, time and time again. One day, when God's plan is complete, sin will be completely destroyed and the struggle will be over. In the meantime, the Power of the resurrection can be witnessed time and time again when have victory over sin in our daily lives.

2 comments:

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

i just saw your post. lets get together. you name the date:)

Rob & Lindsey said...

hey we have a blog now too...come and see it:)