Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In all Things, With Thanksgiving


Right after raising my voice for the umpteenth time today it hit me. I'm ungrateful. This is how God speaks. Well, He speaks in many ways....but I often hear Him like this. Something just pops in my head, and it is true to God's Word. I'm ungrateful. It's good to have it diagnosed.
I've been dragging around for the last several weeks complaining about the never ending mess in our house. Doug has endured my ranting.."I spend all day just walking around cleaning up and in five minutes it's all gone to pot!" Doug has patiently listened as I declare I'm done dealing with little people who don't listen and do something naughty every time I leave their sight. I lose my patience when I've tried very hard to get them settled for rest time and then they disturb my rest every 10 minutes.
This enlightenment of my ungratefulness comes after reading several blogs written by men who have lost their young wives to cancer. Reading about the hundreds of people who prayed that God would give these women just a little more time with the husbands, children, and friends.
I have these days that others have prayed for. I'm squandering them on complaining and impatience. I pray God would give me fresh perspective and wisdom. I need different expectations.
Let me end by expressing much gratitude for 8 wonderful years with Doug. Today is our anniversary! He gives me nothing to complain about, and so very much to celebrate! And, in Doug's wisdom he has never told me I'm ungrateful...he leaves that communication up to God. Doug just loves me and does everything possible to make me glad :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could squeeze you

Alison said...

I've been feeling that way, as well, lately. God has definitely been reminding me of the "do everything without grumbling or complaining" verse. I heard about a sermon Rob Bell did on that verse and I fully intend to listen to it when I can muster up some uninterrupted quiet time! :-) I'm at the Y right now while the kids are in Kids in Motion. It's been a very peaceful hour of catching up on blogs! Thanks for sharing your heart. It helps to know I'm not alone. ;-)

Alison said...

Oh, and LOVE the picture!!

Anonymous said...

ahhh how refreshing and reminding. thank you.