Tuesday, December 30, 2008

retreat


Doug and I are leaving Saturday for our annual trip to Florida. Even though it's a family trip (read: the lovliness of crazy kids) we somehow get very refreshed. We come home spiritually and physically refreshed and inspired. We spend a lot of time reading books and talking about what God is teaching us. I usually come home with new inspiration and fresh purpose.
I guess you could say I've been preparing by reading Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz." The author was challenged by a friend with the question, "what/who are you willing to die for?" The question was followed with, "what/who are you willing to live for?" His friend suggested that living for something/someone is more difficult than dying for something/something. After some thought, I agreed. Then I thought about, if looking at my life what/who would I say I'm currently living for? These are good questions to ask and on which to reflect. It's easy for me to say I'll die for Christ, others, a good cause. But, when I think about living it out day to day I makes me think of all of myself I really need to forsake, and that stings. I like making myself happy (or at least trying), and I like people to like me while I'm at it :)
(and yeah, the picture is meant to be ironic...I'm reading Joel Vestal's "Dangerous Faith")

1 comment:

Alison said...

We're going to miss you! Carolyn told me today how much she is going to miss Maegan. We'll be praying for that refreshment, peace and relaxation and waiting in expectation for the Lord to answer. :-)