Saturday, July 4, 2009

milk free milk

Tuesday Graham had blood in his diaper, so after an xray to confirm his intestines are all right I was asked to remove all dairy from my diet. This is a challenge for someone who loves to guzzle milk...along with cake, cookies, ice cream, etc. Finding something to eat at home isn't a big deal, but going out to eat will be tough. Dairy is in a lot of things and isn't always obvious. I know there are many of you who have had to eliminate dairy from your kids' diets, so I'd appreciate any suggestions you have for tastey substitutes for butter, milk, and ice cream. And, following A. Ashley's example, I went out a bought 2 packages of double stuff Oreos last night. Pop Tarts and Cool Whip don't have dairy either...which is scary. I'm forced to read labels now, and you really don't want to know what is in this stuff!!!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Be careful on the dairy - whey and casein are hidden dairy items. Anything with caramel color (in barbecue sauce) can also be made with dairy. I'll send you some info.
Hang in there! I feel your pain :)

Anonymous said...

again i'm only willing if you spell it right....dAiry. :) A.Ashley is who we turned to and she is quite the expert!! lyvia outgrew her allergy and escaped tubes!!

carol said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe I spelled it that way again. I must have really thought I was spelling it right! Thanks for telling me because I would have been embarassed to have that posted like that for long!

Tenney Crew said...

I had to just got done doing no dairy with Grace. My favorite type of non-dairy milk was vanilla almond milk. It's super cheap and at Trader Joe's. It's in a carton so you can buy a ton of it and keep it in the pantry. I think it's $1.69 each carton.

Dr. Pamela Reilly said...

You're probably an old pro at this by now, but here are a few tips: 1) Several companies make coconut ice cream, milk and yogurt that are to die for! 2) Hemp milk is the creamiest of the milk substitute. When I drank coffee, it was the only one I could stand instead of milk or cream. It also has much higher protein and essential fatty acid content than any of the other milk substitutes. 3) Avoid soy products if you can, as they are highly estrogenic and affect the normal sexual maturation of children. Soy is great for post-menopausal women, but not for pre-menopausal. 5) Best of all ... the longer you avoid dairy, the fewer cravings you'll have. You'll probably find that your health improves in a variety of ways, too. 6) No need to worry about calcium intake if you're eating plenty of dark, leafy veggies. Milk is NOT the best source of calcium available. Cows get their calcium from grass ... maybe we should, too! :)

I hope things are going well with your dairyless journey. God bless!

carol said...

Thanks so much Pamela!! That is helpful. Do you know of a good calcium supplement because I do eat lot of salad, but it might not be enough.
Do you have a website that gives the dates of your classes. I'm very interested in learning from you.