Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Freedom's Fortune




I just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" in 3 days and before that I read "Infidel" an autobiography of Ayaan Hirsi Ali. I couldn't put these books down. Do you ever finish a book and have to take a time to grieve that it's over? Suddenly these people I've been reading about are gone from my life.
Ayaan Hirsi grew up in Somalia, fled to Holland after a forced marriage and then ended serving in Holland's Parliment. Due to terrorists threats against her life (because she began to speak out about the treatment of Muslim women) she had to flee to the States and now does research for a D.C. think tank. I gained a lot of perspective on what life is like for women in Somalia and learned to savor my freedom as a result of this new knowledge.
"A Thousand Splendid Suns" is the story of two Afghani women. This is a fictional novel, but is based on true life circumstances and depicts real Afghan. history. It's important to know the horrors women face in radical Islamic societies. I must urge you to read these books, or books like them. It's so important to know about life outside of our own exsistence. I really can't get over the difference between my life and the lives of many women who have no freedom, have no choice about anything, and have no way out. These books are captivating and perspective changing. Don't miss out!

4 comments:

Andrea Moberly said...

Thanks, Carol, for continuing to open my eyes to the world around me... I so often forget to look. Are you willing and/or able to loan out either of those books? I'd love to borrow one/both of them! I was just praying this weekend that God would open my eyes to the greater world, not just my own... answer to prayer? you bet!

carol said...

Hey Andrea!
I borrowed these books from Christina Dooley. She still needs to read "A Thousand Splendid Suns", but I bet she'd love to let you borrow "Infidel." She attends the westside once a month to sing, so you guys could exchange there.

crossn81 said...

they sound like really good books, especially Infidel with its roots in Somalia!

Andrea Moberly said...

hah! She sings in my band once a month! I'll have to ask her at rehearsal this month :)