Thursday, October 9, 2008

running the show


Spencer has turned a corner from being an 'easy as pie' child to a strong willed child. He is stubborn and trying to be way too independent. Maegan has always let me make choices for her (except last winter when she would only wear dresses). She is five and I don't think she has ever uttered the phrase "me do it". I've had to insist that she learns to do things herself. Then came Spencer. He has to do everything and if I do anything that he would like to do (like zip, buckle, open doors, toss trash...anything)then it's melt down city. I find myself unzipping, unbuckling, closing doors and retrieving trash just so he can do it. It's official, a 2 1/2 year old is running our house. Oh, I used to judge people who said their kids just had to pick out their clothes, put on their shoes, etc. I thought, who is running this show? At first I didn't see any defiance in it, just him going through a learning phase. I mean, having an independent 2 1/2 year old can be nice. He is almost ready to live out on his own ;)
But, I can see defiance welling up and he is refusing to do a lot of what I ask. So, I need to pull out a good parenting book and refresh.
(p.s. thanks to Emily who helped me deal with my defiant child after school today :) I told Spencer I was about to beat him, so she mercifully came to my rescue!!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm... sounds familiar. We have the female version of Spencer in our house. Her name is Ella :).

I find myself constantly going back to Childwise as a great reference book.

http://tinyurl.com/childwise.

Alison said...

So, you've been judging me all these years, huh?? :-) I got a taste of this today when he wanted to go potty. The first couple of times, he let me help, so I thought it was OK. NOPE! Third time, no help necessary!:-) You know I understand, though, b/c both of my girls have been that way since I can remember! I've never heard of Childwise. If you check it out, let me know what you think. I didn't really like The Strong-willed Child by James Dobson. It could have been good, but I never got through it all. Spencer is a doll and who could get upset with the sweet smile??!!

Tracy said...

i'm with ya on this one! you don't know how many doors i've closed so that my 2 year old and/or 4 year old could be "the one" to open it! oh, how i feel your pain. it does get better though...i have a 6 year old to prove it.

Alison said...

I didn't know you and Maegan were models for a-ashley designs! You have so many hidden talents! :-) When are you going to update this blog, anyway?? :-)