Thursday, October 2, 2008

a season for everything


I love change. Doug does not like change. I anticipate the changing of the seasons with excitement at what is to come; Doug has a different outlook. Like, he gives me a regular update of how each day is losing more and more sun light. He says stuff like, can you believe summer is over and in a matter of time Christmas will be here (but not in an exciting 'can you believe it's almost Christmas!') Or, he says things like, can you believe we've been out of college for over 20 years, before you know it the kids will be gone and off to college. And to top it off he reminds me frequently that we are indeed going to die. I guess we all have our way of taking in life. I think it's just the way he processes, in his analytical, matter of fact way.
I'm the opposite, and I think we are a good balance. I love every changing season, especially Fall. I don't mind when it gets cold and even a little dreary. That means we can light a bunch of candles, drink hot tea, and have a reason to lay around a be lazy. There is a bright side to everything.
Along with the love of change I moved around the entire living room yesterday, with all it's furniture. I didn't bother to warn Doug because he would have stressed. Of course, he didn't like it and he said we could keep it that way for a few days. We'll see, I think he'll start to like it. :)
Ah, but I love him and even with his interesting perspectives he brings me lots of laughs and good times!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes I swear we are the same person!

Unknown said...

Actually.....Katie said that comment!

The Croyts Chronicles said...

hey-we have not been out of college for 20 years! Old man croyts just had his 20 high school reunion-and with him being near 40, and we aren't-we have not been out of college for 20 years.... not that those who have are old, we just aren't =)

carol said...

Ooops, I'm bad at math!

Anonymous said...

awww...what a sweet post. i love your marriage.

Alison said...

You compliment each other well. :-)
I like the new arrangement! Does my vote count? :-)